8.20.2007

Tiny little secret...

I didn't post about this prior to because it was just really freaking everyone out, especially my parents & Ryan. We told our very close friends and immediate family, that was it. So, if you didn't hear until after the fact we apologize but it was honestly scaring everyone slam to death and everyone else's fears were starting to "give me the freak out".

I had surgery last Thursday at 25 weeks pregnant. I had a hernia that was caused from the diastasis. I had the hernia repaired when the boys were about 8 weeks using a mesh patch... which ended up being defective. SO, the hernia came back. It's been there for a while (over a year) but wasn't bothering me so I chose to ignore it stubbornly. Well, it started hurting REALLY bad a week ago and was getting really hard like a rock. I had to have surgery because my OB and surgeon were concerned it could be infected. They did the surgery and I'm home recovering now. Hudson and I are both doing superb minus some pain which is slowly getting better.

Hudson seemed a little annoyed at the hospital and was kicking and punching up a storm everytime a doctor or nurse touched my belly but it was almost relaxing to feel him move and know he was ok... maybe he wasn't annoyed but just saying "hey mom,don't worry I'm doing good in here!" That being said... I felt him throughout the entire surgery. The anesthesiologist wanted to put me under general anesthesia which was NOT what we had been told by my surgeon so after some arguing and explaining that I really wasn't comfortable with general and not being in control of my own breathing and what not which my child was relying on...so they agreed to do a spinal block instead, so I was awake & alert during the whole thing. They tried to sedate me with IV drugs so I'd relax and go to sleep but anyone that knows me well knows I'm entirely way to strong willed for that. I NEEDED to feel my baby and know he was ok. So, 4cc's later of sedation meds I was still awake and thought I was going to be sick. It's really quite impressive how quickly nurses move when you say "I think I'm going to throw up" during surgery. I didn't get sick although the room did spin for a few minutes before they got the Zofran in my IV to help with the naseau & the heating blankets off of me & some cool fans going near my face. What seemed like 2 minutes later the surgeon was saying he was done and going to talk to Ryan! The whole surgery was about 20-30 minutes.

Then, I got moved to post-op... talk about creepy!!!!!!!!! I was the only one awake! Most everyone was on general anesthesia so they were super out of it even when they did wake up. It was dark and all you could hear was "beep, beep, beep" from monitors. I had to stay there until I could feel my legs again and push on the nurses hands with them, then I got moved to recovery which was bright and cheery and I had recliner! But I swear post-op is the place people wake up from surgery and think they've died! It was sooo creepy in there, like a morgue.

I honestly thought it was going to be as easy of a surgery as it was the first time, that was my first mistake. Last time I was reorganizing the bathroom sinks the same night of the surgery... this time, it was all I could do to not start crying or pass out from pain when I needed to stand up and walk to the bathroom. The surgery was a lot different this time though and the pain meds they gave me are crap because I'm pregnant. The surgeon decided not to use the patch but instead to close the hole by sewing the muscle tissues back together. Anytime muscle is involved you can pretty much count on hating life for a few days I've decided. Especially if it's half way up your stomach that a baby is laying behind & on your abdominal wall that you use for practically everything you do all day long. I had no idea how much I used those muscles until the last few days! Even moving my legs to an elevated position was an ordeal the first 2 days.

Ryan has been AMAZING the whole time, he even kept the boys in cloth diapers the whole time he was home! He went back to work today and Mom came to help who's also being great! Our church has been bringing meals every other day and friends have spoiled me rotten with cookies, doughnuts, bagels, brownies, pies, cakes, and flowers! We could have a bake sale with all the stuff in our kitchen! I'm sooo blessed to have such great friends and an awesome family! So now, I'm sitting on my butt for 4 more days and eating entirely way more chocolate substances than any one person should ever eat, but hey.. I'm techincally two people right now anyways! :)

So there you have it, I had surgery... Hudson and I are both practically perfect in every way. No worries! :)

5 comments:

Shalene said...

Glad to hear you are okay. We were concerned.

All of Us said...

I totally agree about post-op, HORRIBLE!!! I also understand about not knowing how much you used the teeniest ab muscles. Another few days and you will be fine, just don't do like I did after Thomas and start unpacking the dishes they day after you come home (day 6). Happy thoughts your way and glad all are doing well. Maybe I'll come steal some chocolate :)

Josh said...

i had hernia surgery last year. you described the post-op room almost verbatim the way i did. there was a kid crying and an old lady moaning. when the nurse came over to me, i said my pain was an 8 so she would knock me back out. it worked.

and the ab cutting.. it sucks. megan had to pick me up and lay me down in bed every morning and night.

Anonymous said...

OMG....I am so glad you are all ok!

That is scary and you are such a trooper. I would love to see your newest baby belly!!! LOL I havent seen it since the first trimester.

Take it easy and Thank goodness you are all fine.

Art and Evelyn said...

Goodness Dare, I'm so glad you guys are okay. That's so scary. I hope you take it easy. Is that really possible with twins under 2?? Good luck! Evelyn