7.24.2007

500 years of poop....

Recently Ryan and I...well I should really just say I, he just listens & agrees or disagrees with what I'm telling him...have been looking into cloth diapers for Hudson. I've been researching my BUTT off lately trying to make the best decision about what to cover his cute little toosh in. There several reasons we wanted to use cloth but I had so many apprehensions about it that I just wanted make sure I knew what I was getting into with this decision.

Main cloth diapering reason: The environment... I mean we're not going "green" here but we were slapped in the face with a bit of distrubing knowledge that we were NOT ok with recently. That being: It takes up to 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose!!!! Not all of the diapers in the world, just one little tiny diaper.

Here's a fact for you:
In the last almost 2 years of Elijah & Owen's lives we have used approximately, 300+ diapers a MONTH x 12= 3,600 diapers per year or 7,200 for their "diapered life" thus far.

yep that's 7,200 diapers that will MAYBE decompose in the year 2507 at the earliest. That's just nasty. And that's just our family!!!!!

So... where am I going with this blog entry that seems to be getting very long rather quickly?

In my diaper search I found the most AMAZING invention ever known to moms... or at least to this mom.

gDiapers "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (think sounds from heaven)

Let me explain: cloth+disposable+flushable = brilliant!

gDiapers are cloth outer covers with a snap in liner that is "U" shaped. The liner holds a flushable diaper insert that last as long as a regular disposable diaper but when your little bambino does the deed you pull it out of the liner, pull it apart dump out the inside into the toilet swish it around (with a swish stick) and toss in the remaining parts of the liner & FLUSH!!!!!!! It's septic tank friendly and approved by the human waste divisions as safe!

BUT... it gets better!!! (I should get paid for this kind of advertising)! ;) Say, I've taken my 3 boys to the mall and I don't have my handy dandy swish stick with me... even if I throw it away it only takes a little over a month to decompose..... ONE MONTH vs 500 YEARS! I'm telling you it's amazing. You can even compost them!

AND.... last not least, they are soooooo freakin cute! They come in different colors and even a couple prints! Final cost of everything end up being the same we would normally spend on Pampers Swaddlers or Cruisers but they are environmentally friendly. So, you don't really "save" money like a traditional styled cloth diaper but you save the world... one diaper at a time, haha.

I've not yet tried these "gDiapers" but we're going to go ahead and jump in full force with Elijah & Owen once my precious diaper package arrives from gDiapers!

Until then... you MUST check this out for yourself! www.gdiapers.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS! I shall check those out to use with future kiddos!!!! Thanks for sharing that!

Kellye said...

Oh yeah! Thanks Dare! DH & I (really just me) have been looking at some ways to change our trashy habits! 500 years....holy crap...I couldn't believe it! We'll definitely look into those then! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Good job, Dare.
After our visit to NYC, we are convinced that someone needs to do something. Every night they pile trash bags for a 12-15 block square from one end of side walk & about 3' tall (about 30 bags every 6-8 ft). I have never seen so much trash & every single night. I am not going green but I am cutting back on trash. They do not pay NYC trashmen enough - no trash cans just bags & bags - crazy.
Good luck with diapers.
Mom