Well, as many of you know. Our kids have been super sick this winter. I actually think they have had something for at least 1-2 weeks of every month for the last 4 months! They have been sick more the past 4 months than in the last 2 years of their lifes combined! It's just been CrAzY!!!
They aren't in daycare or public preschool, don't play on nasty indoor playgrounds, they are great eaters, take 2+ hour naps every day and go to bed by 9pm and sleep until at least 8am, take a multivitamin and aren't in large playgroups, they are very active, we wash hands frequently and use sanitizers... so WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THIS CRAP?!?!?! I'm officially a germ-a-phobe!!!! Anyone know where to order bubbles for kids? E.T. style but large enough for my whole house would be ideal. Aunt Jean, I bet you'd like one of these too! :)
I was at my wits end when I spoke with our fabulous (no sarcasm there, we have the BEST) pediatrician about the unwelcome colds, etc. His response: "It's to be expected with twins, they share the antibody rich colostrum at birth, where a singleton gets it all.... " So, turns out because I was still nursing the majority of last winter we didn't go through all the madness we are experiencing this winter because they were still getting some antibodies from breastmilk. However he gave me a recipe for a smoothie developed by Dr. William Sears to specifically boost the immune system. We're going to give it a shot and I'll update you guys soon.
Dr. Sear's Immune Boosting Smoothie
Drink this smoothie daily upon school entry in September, upon beginning daycare, upon exposure to a contagious illness, or when you or your child feels a cold coming on.
2 cups milk or soy or rice beverage
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 serving of a multinutrient supplement
one frozen banana, cut up
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup each of your favorite fruit, frozen (e.g., organic strawberries, papaya, mango, guava,cantaloupe)
1 tbsp. flax oil or 2 tbsp. flaxseed meal (Because fiber steadies the absorption of carbohydrates and therefore contributes to a steadier blood sugar we suggest using rich sources of fiber, such as flaxseed meal (i.e., ground flax seeds, containing both the oil and fiber), although flax oil has a more palatable consistency than flaxseed meal. For additional fiber, if you don't mind an even grainier texture, add 1 tbsp. or more of oat bran.)
3 ounces tofu
10 mg. zinc (if not available in your multinutrient supplement)
1 serving soy isolate powder (optional)
2 tbsp. peanut butter (optional)
Combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve immediately after blending while the mixture still has a bubbly milkshake-like consistency.
All of these ingredients can be found at our local Target! Even the tofu, flaxseed meal and soy isolate. If you can't find them they are available at natural whole food stores (ie. Earthfare, WholeFoods etc.)
Hope it wards off the evil colds in your home too!!!!
p.s. tofu has no flavor, it takes on the flavor of whatever it's used with. Common misconception! Tofu has a bad rap! :) Same for flaxseed.
3.21.2008
Immune Boosting Smoothie Recipe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
i've eaten a LOT of tofu.. plain ol raw tofu. i don't want it in a smoothie! otherwise, it sounds good...
i have to agree with josh on the tofu. it may not have a flavor but the texture is nasty. i have also eaten a lot of tofu in many varieties since i was a vegetarian for about ten years of my life. yuck. i just can't stomach it anymore.
After the flu & bronchitis since Christmas, I will try anything. I am sooo sick of being sick.
this sounds good. I need SOMETHING to keep us from getting sick all the dang time.
I agree with you 100% on the bubble..we have had too much sickness here this winter also so if you find a bubble let me know..hehehe...the smoothie sounds yummy...I am going to have to try it..thanks for the recipe...I'm all for anything that will help boost my kids immune system! I don't know if I could get Jeff to try it...he hates tofu and I have never tried it so I can't say one way or the other but I like trying new things so I think I am going to make it! I hope you are all on the mend...I love you, Aunt Jean
Post a Comment