February is usually associated with Valentine's Day, flowers, love, hugs, chocolate and more. This "V-day" was a turning point for our family.
We're now practicing vegetarianism. I've thought about becoming a vegetarian several times before but never actually took the plunge, this time I've done it! Ryan and the boys are no longer eating these thing at home but if they want them outside of the home they can eat them without any evil eyes :) But Ryan & I decided the best thing for our health & our family was to eat them sparingly or not at all. I'm taking the not at all approach & Ryan is transitioning slowly. Just like our method with church I want to introduce this to my children & for them to be educated about it but I won't force it on them so only time will tell with Elijah, Owen & Hudson and what choices they will make.
Anyone that knows me well knows I don't really like being "preached at". I love a good sermon though and think being preached TO, can be rewarding for both the giver and the receiver. So I'm going to share what I've learned because I LOVE each of you & I want you to feel & be your healthiest. Take it or leave it. Here's some good information that summarizes the gazillions of things I've read.
Vegetarian 101
The Health benefits
I'm not going to provide a direct link to the animal cruelty because it is extremely graphic and I have young teens that occasionally look at my blog, whose parents might kill me for the distrubing information they would read and see. But I do urge you adults to go to the website below and click the appropriate links for the information provided about how cows, birds, pigs, and fish are treated during the "farming" process and slaughter techniques used to murder these animals. Look into at http://www.goveg.com/ As I said before it is graphic, but it needs to be seen.
"Knowledge is power." right?
OH, and FYI you can get almost ALL of your favorite foods in vegetarian or vegan form. For example in my freezer I currently have 'bacon', 'sausage', hotdogs, burgers, 'chicken' nuggets, and 'chicken patties'. All of the stuff we've tried has been fantastic and it's really not anymore than you'd pay for the meat version of any of those products. Actually some of it was CHEAPER! We even had a vegan oatmeal raisin cookie that was to die for!!! You couldn't tell it was vegan & it was honestly better than the 'real' thing.
Agree with what you just read?... then go here to get a free vegetarian starter kit. http://www.goveg.com/order.asp
LAST but not least: PLEDGE TO BE VEG for 30 days!


1 comments:
Good luck on your new vegetarian lifestyle...let me know how it goes! Love, Jean
Post a Comment